Feel Good Song: Closer by Tegan and Sara

The most contemporary release to be featured in my Feel Good Song series, Tegan and Sara's "Closer" sounds both current and straight out of the 80s. The track is a catchy anthem to "make things physical" with a lover about whom the singers make the claim, "I won't treat you like you're oh so typical... I want you close." The song uses of synths and shimmers in the shiny, nostalgic way that makes you think Molly Ringwald could be dancing in the background. Yet, the track feels very much a part of the 2013 musical landscape: it is lyrically androgynous, and the production and drums are so clean and crisp they could have only manifested in our digital age. Though it technically was released as a teaser single last fall for the band's excellent 2013 album, Heartthrob, I am considering it an early contender for one of my favorite tracks of the year.

No comments: