Single Review: Jealous Remix by Nick Jonas ft Tinashe

Nick Jonas has been turning heads on the pop scene. In promotion for his new self-titled solo record, he has been trying to attract the attention of his female and gay fans with risque photos. However, he shouldn't worry about stunts because his newest single, "Jealous," has enough pop smarts to stand on its own. Prince is Jonas' inspiration, and the former boy-bander has a voice that can move from a smooth croon to a sexy growl to a Purple Rain falsetto. The song itself works as a Prince update too, focusing on the trials of romance with lyrics about sharing pics and intimate details online. The lyrics have lots of testosterone strutting ("I turn my cheer music up / and I'm puffing my chest. / I'm getting red in the face. / You can call me obsessed") and because he delivers them bravado, "Jealous" successfully casts Jonas as a sex symbol. The remix featuring Tinashe is superior to the original because it makes the song an exchange between partners rather than just a proclamation. Nick Jonas' pop future looks bright. 

No comments: