Tasty Track of 2014 Number 1: Rather Be by Clean Bandit (Ft Jess Glynne)

I came across "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit (Ft Jess Glynne) the old fashioned way: on the radio in the car. It was a warm spring day, and my boyfriend and I were driving across the midwestern city where we lived at the time. We had been talking with the radio playing in the background, and I paused when I heard the chorus flow from the speakers. I turned it up, and I've been addicted ever since.

When my boyfriend and I traveled the world for a couple months, the song soundtracked many bus, train, and plane rides. "Rather Be" makes a strong nod to 90s house music and has a cosmopolitan, international feel, featuring lyrics about traveling with a partner. The song works so well, it helped propel the relatively unknown electro band to number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. It's my favorite 2014 single because it's an uplifting slice of pop magic and it made my year better.


No comments: