Mini Poetry Review: Jane Hoogestraat's Border States

When I was in graduate school, I spent a lot of time writing landscape poems about the upstate New York town where I grew up. I was doing my best to understand and appreciate where I came from. One reason I made any ground on this front was because I studied with Jane Hoogestraat, who helped me explore how region can effect poems and how spirituality, self reflection, and landscape can work together. Her new poetry collection, Border States, affirms how well Dr. Jane can work with this material. The book displays a careful attention to detail, sussing out the complexities of the midwestern states she has called home. It's a lovely, warm collection--a wonderful celebration of her work.

Sample poems: "Near Red Lodge, Montana" and "At the Edge of a Time Zone" (scroll for poem)



No comments: